Monday, June 16, 2014

A memorable weekend!

Started the final day of our safari at our beautiful hostel in Plettenberg. The hostel again offered breakfast! I was served an amazing yogurt parfait! It was unbelievably delicious! Yogurt, honey, granola, fresh melon, apple, flax seed all combined in a beautiful arrangement. The day was off to a good start except the weather was a little shaky. With high hopes of the rain clearing up and David waking up and doing a "reverse rain dance" (apparently this makes rain go away, I think he made this up) the skies were blue and sunny by 11 am. In the morning we stopped at a couple mountainous beaches. One of these beaches was called Victoria Bay. There were breathtaking cliffs leading right up to the water. The waves crashed and and we sat taking in the beauty of nature. Prior to making it to Victoria Bay we stopped at a little sandwich place and grocery store so we could have a picnic! And that is exactly what we did. It was breathtaking. 

Following the picnic and relaxing on the beach, we drove about 90 minutes to where we were scheduled to do the "walk with the lions." Not really sure what I was getting myself into, I signed another wavior and was about to have another interactive experience. 

We were led by three guides that went through a lot or rules and guidelines very quickly! (Such as no sunglasses, no scarfs/loose clothing, no whispering, no bending down to take pictures.. etc...) They also required each person to have a long walking stick like thing. They claimed that having this stick shows the lion that you have dominance and they will respect you.  

Only moments later we were off. We met two lionesses that we were going to spend the next hour with. Apparently once the lions/lionesses reach the age of three they are no longer allowed to do lion walks or interact with tourists because they become too aggressive. We got a personal tour around the grounds and got to pet and take lots of pictures with the lions. The tour guides would stop along our walk and tell us facts about lions and their importance to the African culture. It was very interesting. I still can't believe I was so close to such a huge/dangerous animal. (Definitely was thinking about Lion King the whole time :))

Sadly this was the last stop of an unbelievable weekend. David kept us incredibly busy and I would have it no other way! Everything we did offered something different and allowed us to experience a different taste of Africa. 

As we are driving home and I am watching the sunset over the mountains I am reflecting at how lucky I am to have the opportunity to explore this amazing region of the world. 

On that note I also have to send a shout out to my dad becaue I wish I could have spent the day with him today (and everyday) Happy Father's Day!! Love you! 





No comments:

Post a Comment