Friday, June 20, 2014

No day is an ordinary day

I arrived at school like any other day. I walked into my school ready for another day with the kids. I could unfortunately hear the kids more than a classroom as I walked up so I knew they were riled up about something. As I opened the door I scanned the room for my teacher. She was not there. I asked the kids where she was and they responded with blank stares and an I don't know!! I tried to take control but that was easier said then done. After giving the students a couple riddles on the board I had a moment to myself. Luckily at this time the other 2nd grade teacher marched into my room and asked to speak to me outside. She told me Mrs. Meyer is not in and she was wondering if I can handle things today? (My jaw nearly dropped to the floor) Open for a challenge I said yes. I turned back and walked back into the classroom and found the 40 students yelling at each other, several standing on chairs, writing on the chalkboards.... What did I get myself into?!?

I managed to get the students back on task allowing for a few moments for me to plan something for the students to do. Mrs. Meyer left absolutely no plans or any type of notes to follow for the day. It was truly whatever I wanted. I decided I wanted to do a lesson on summarizing a story because this is something that the students have never heard of before. I brought the students to the carpet-like area. (Which actually is a used piece of scrap rug that can fit maybe 25 of the students if they are sitting as close as possible. The rest of the class is in surrounding desks or small area  by the door) I selected a book that I have not heard of before but looked promising. There are very few books in my classroom. Excited about my mini lesson and having high hopes I introduced the book and the concept of summarizing and began to read. About 5 words into the story I had most of the class in unison reading the story word for word. I stopped and realized that the students have so few books that they memorized the books that they do have. They explained that they have heard this story so many times that they memorized it! It was so sad.

So off to a rocky start I had to think on my feet and decided to read the story half way through and then have the students make up their own ending. This worked well because it took the students a long time and was engaging. The rest of the day was hectic. The students randomly started to fight each other or run across the room and hit someone. I did my best to manage the class but it was far the toughest classroom management experience I have ever had.

The day passed with writing stories, making collages, singing songs, and some math work. Late in the day another volunteer realized I was in over my head so came to assist me! Overall this was an exhausting and challenging day but in the end I learned a lot.



Ryan getting his hair done!






This is one of Ryan's favorites, Craig. (I know you aren't suppose to have favorites but he is so cute.. A mini Ryan)












Meet my girl Hayden. (A few days this week I have packed an extra lunch for Hayden. She never has anything to eat at school. It is so hard)



















This is Chavarno (left). The BIGGEST trouble maker in my class.. but just look at that smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment