This evenings adventure has been baking in the metric system! Quite fun! I am in shock that tomorrow is my last day at school. It is so sad! I decided to make some goodies for the kids and for the teachers that have been so welcoming to me the past month! I set out for the grocery store and made a ton of cookies and dessert bars for everyone! I know it is not much but it will be a nice treat before they leave for a 3 week break from school. I also wrote some cards thanking individuals for making my experience so memorable.
It had been inspiring to be surrounded by other volunteers in the house. If I have the opportunity to do another trip like this I would make an effort to do fundraising before the trip to help the students! Some volunteers have helped out in amazing ways. For example one volunteer raised enough money to buy over 60 uniforms for students whose parents can not afford them or they have grown out of their current uniform. Another volunteer has raised money to allow the class to go on a field trip. From what I heard this was a huge success. They went to Cape Town to a children's museum and went to a park in the afternoon. Of course many volunteers provide supplies for the students and school. So many ways to give back!
A volunteer at my house organized something called #lunchbag. This is something that is coming to some bigger cities that have a homeless population. A group of people come together and buy sandwich making ingredients. So my housemate Anastasia organized this so all volunteers could be involved. Each of the volunteer houses had a sandwich making party. We had everything from basic ham and cheese, pp&j, to full out veggie sandwiches. All of the volunteers together made over 500 hundred sandwiches. It was incredible! A couple people were able to pack these sandwiches up and deliver them to homeless people in the township areas where our schools are located. It was an amazing experience.
Still in shock that I head home in only a couple days. This has been such a wonderful journey that has been extremely rewarding in many ways.

No comments:
Post a Comment