Thursday, June 5, 2014

School days!

I have had a great few days in my class of crazy 3rd graders. I have learned so much and just tried to take in as much as humanly possible. One of the highlights I have experienced is teaching the kids how to play heads-up 7-Up. This is a simple game that I use to play all the time in elementary school. The children loved it! They got so into it and were devastated when the teacher made the students start to work again.

My favorite time of the day is what they call interval. This is recess!! The students get excited and run like crazy. They are so happy and just love the freedom of doing what ever they want. The entire time in the classroom the students are disciplined every single moment of the day. The day is structured and there is no time for the students to interact with each other and discover things on there own, it is solely direct instruction from the teacher. They never get to make a choice for themselves. All the teachers go to the teacher’s lounge and recooperate, while I am running out side playing soccer and racing the kids. I don’t mind at all!

Every day I am shocked at how the teacher disciplines the students. I have never seen a teacher yell so much and directly scream at the students. When a student does something a little as can not find an assignment the teacher will walk up to them and scream horrifying loudly at them. She sometimes calls them lazy, worthless and even tells them to shut up. It is hard to listen to and can be draining. I have to remind myself of the conditions that the teachers are in. So little connection through Internet, books, teaching curriculum… so many things I take for granted.




Hanging out with during recess!

Here I told the kids to act like "angels"

And then here I said okay be goofy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment