So today I realized how attached I am becoming to my adorable second graders, or here they call it grade 2. Everything from the same couple trouble makers to the way they greet me in the morning will be missed. Today was a great day because I had a little bit more responsibility in the classroom. My teacher is only here for part of the day because she is having her baby in the next day or two. Her doctor has told her she should not be working full days. Today she was there in the morning and the afternoon was an opportunity for me to step up. She gave me very vague instructions about what she wanted me to do and I somewhat improvised with something that I think would be productive and meaningful while still accomplishing the task.
The morning ran smoothly with my teacher there although I am always surprised about how little work the kids do. Today for the majority of the morning, roughly 2.5 hours, the teacher wrote 4 word problems on the chalkboard. They were very basic fact word problem. The instructions were for the students to rewrite the 2-3 sentence problem, solve it and show their work... Very straight forward, however this took some kids close to 3 hours... 3 HOURS! The teachers emphasize different things here. For example, my teacher yells at the kids for not having neat handwriting or going to fast or slow. So that was the entire morning which seemed a little bit slow in general.
The afternoon I did a little craft with the students and read a new story to them. They were more engaged because for once they have not seen this story yet.
The weather today was absolutely beautiful! Immediately after program we went to the beach and hung out for the whole afternoon. Playing soccer, frisbee and eventually we went swimming. (First time swimming in the Indian Ocean) it was cold but also very refreshing!





No comments:
Post a Comment